The FoodPiooners team are incredibly proud to have our latest Bees&Seas project featured in the Worthing Herald:
“Adur & Worthing Councils said hives will be one feature of the new space, along with a small orchard, herb garden, wildlife habitats, bug hotel and planting schemes.And at the centre of the project, called Bees&Seas, will be new shipping containers, donated by Lancing-based Sussex Transport. These will be used as classrooms and workshops spaces to help people understand the importance of encouraging biodiversity to help green spaces thrive and help in the fight against climate change, the councils said.”
Our Project is flying ahead! In February volunteers visited the site and scattered some wild flowers to make a start on planting forage for the bees. Early March the wonderful Damian Pulford and his team at Sussex Transport removed the old broken containers – for recycling. A week later the Rangers at The Council cleared the yard of all heavy rubbish and waste. What a difference! And JUST YESTERDAY we are very excited to report that two brand new containers, donated by Sussex Transport, were transported and safely delivered on site. The beating heart of this project: one container will be transformed into a classroom and workshop space. The other used for storage of educational material and vital bee-keeping equipment.
- The wonderful people at Creative Waves are working on design and creatives to add the wow factor to our pollinations Hub.
- The fabulous Freinds At Brooklands Park are coordinating small volunteers groups to start transforming the space – from next week.
- Planting, collecting, seeding, growing – huge effort going on behind the scene to fill those green roofs and eco spaces.
- Preparing the hives. The Worthing Honey Collective will select a Queen Bee and her worker bee colony for their imminent arrival.
- Log hives and bees will be installed at the site – once the new containers are designed and windows built in.
There are still sponsorship opportunities left! Enabling us to equip a shipping container with furniture, green space, classroom, eco-power and workshop resources. There are sponsorships also for two large green roofs on the containers – for pollinator forage. Please help support our community project by donating through our crowdfunder or contact us directly to discuss in detail.